Copyrights and Trademarks
Copyrights and Trademarks
Last Updated 2/04/2013
COPYRIGHTS AND TRADEMARK NOTICES
Copyright © 2013 Gemological Institute of America. All rights reserved. GIA, Gemological Institute of America, the GIA seal, GIA Diamond Dossier, Facetware, and the GIA trio logo are the registered trademarks of GIA.
GIA does not permit anyone outside of the Institute to make trademark use of its trademarks and logos.
GIA does not object to your making descriptive, non-trademark use of its name (but not logos), provided that the use is not likely to cause confusion, mistake, deception, or create the false impression that you or any other non-GIA entity or its product is affiliated with, connected to, associated with, approved by, or sponsored by GIA.
NAMES, TRADEMARKS AND COPYRIGHTS
GIA's names and logos, like those of most organizations, are valid trademarks and service marks and as such may not be used in your advertising except as described here. The same is true for all of our intellectual property (including all GIA publications, our educational course materials and certain reports and other materials created and/or owned by GIA, the GIA Laboratory, and GIA Instruments) which may be used only by obtaining prior written consent from GIA and by giving copyright credit to GIA.
Copyrighted works of GIA authorship are owned or licensed by GIA, and may not be copied, reproduced, transmitted, displayed, performed, distributed, rented, sublicensed, altered, stored for subsequent use or otherwise used in whole or in part in any manner without GIA's prior express written consent.
Some specific examples of our trademarks include, but are not limited to: GIA, Gemological Institute of America, the GIA seal, GIA Diamond Dossier, the GIA Trio logo, Gems & Gemology, Facetware, DiamondDock, Gem Trade Laboratory, the Gem Trade Laboratory Trio logo, the Gem Trade Laboratory seal, "The Hallmark of Integrity Since 1949," GTL, GEM, the Gem Instruments Trio logo, the Gem Instruments seal, "Quality, Precision and Innovation Since 1934," "The World's Foremost Authority in Gemology," and "Ensuring the Public Trust through Nonprofit Service since 1931.” Some specific examples of our copyrighted works include, but are not limited to: GIA Educational Materials, Publications, Design, Text and Visual Images, Audio and Video Recordings, Gems & Gemology journal, The Loupe GIA World News, GIA Insider, AlumConnect, Diamond Grading Report with Cut, Diamond Grading Report No Cut, Colored Diamond Grading Report, GIA Diamond Dossier with Cut, GIA Diamond Dossier No Cut, Identification Reports, Colored Diamond Identification and Origin, Synthetic Diamond Grading Report with Cut, Synthetic Diamond Grading Report No Cut, Synthetic Colored Diamond Grading Report, Synthetic Colored Diamond Report, Pearl Identification Report, Pearl Classification Report, Diamond Type Report, Advanced Analysis Report.
FOR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY USAGE REQUESTS, please write to GIA or email firstname.lastname@example.org
USING THE GIA NAME IN ADVERTISING
Anyone is free to make truthful and factual textual references to GIA and its education, research, laboratory services, academic credentials, and grading and identification reports, provided such references are not likely to cause confusion, mistake, or deception, or imply an affiliation with, connection to, or association between GIA and the organization making the references or its products.
It is permissible for a company to state that some of the gems it sells have been sent to GIA for identification or grading. Companies may also state that GIA reports are available for customers' inspection prior to purchase and given to them upon purchase, provided, of course, that such statements are in no manner false, misleading, or deceptive.
The following are examples of unacceptable usage which have appeared, either in newspapers, in telephone yellow pages advertising text, on stationery letterhead, or on business cards:
- GIA Appraiser
- GIA Certified
- GIA Certified Diamond Appraiser
- GIA Certified Diamonds
- GIA Diamond
- Certified GIA Appraisals
- Certified GIA Appraiser
- Certified Graduate Gemologist
- Member, Gemological Institute of America
- Member, GIA Laboratory
Each of the above examples implies some form of GIA approval of or GIA involvement in the business of the individual or firm using the statements or falsely and/or erroneously describes the services offered by GIA.
It is incorrect to state that students, graduates, their businesses, or particular gemstones are "certified" by GIA.
The Gemological Institute of America does not certify anyone or anything. Neither a student nor a graduate who has been awarded a certificate or diploma, nor a gem which has been graded or identified by GIA has been "certified" by GIA.
USAGE GUIDELINES FOR GIA LABORATORY REPORTS
GIA clients who purchase grading and identification services and end users who may sell products with such reports may reproduce an actual report for a product the client/seller owns. It must represent the composition and content of the actual report. It may not be edited or altered in any manner.
You may electronically scan and mount on your website or transmit via email an actual report for a product the client/seller owns. The image must represent the composition and content of the actual report. It may not be edited or altered in any manner.
GIA MASTER DIAMONDS REPORT
It is acceptable to promote that an individual or organization is using master color comparison diamonds graded by GIA for color grading. This provision applies only to diamonds graded by GIA and referenced in a "GIA Master Diamonds Report." It is not acceptable to claim that color grading is being conducted against a diamond based on GIA's color grade finding in a GIA Diamond Grading Report or a GIA Diamond Dossier®. When used for advertising, the reference diamonds should be described as "Graded as Master Stones by GIA."
USAGE GUIDELINES FOR ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS
Usage guidelines apply to all current and former students of the Gemological Institute of America, Inc. and its related entities (collectively referred to as GIA).
Academic credentials earned at GIA are respected by gem and jewelry professionals around the world. They are the internationally recognized symbol of the highest standard of education in the fields of gemology, jewelry manufacturing arts, and jewelry business.
It is appropriate and customary for recipients of GIA diplomas to signal their achievement by appending the relevant academic designation to the end of their name. It should be noted, however, that GIA alumni are required to abide by specific standards of usage.
Although the following examples do not reference every diploma offered by the Institute, they should help you determine how GIA’s Usage Guidelines for Academic Credentials apply to you.
You may reproduce and display your GIA diploma, certificate, or letter of completion in its entirety. Note that when a credential is advertised, it must be used in association with the recipient’s name, and the advertisement must not in any way state or imply an affiliation with, or endorsement by GIA.
Only the acknowledgement of a diploma or degree from GIA should be placed on business cards. Individual coursework that is completed but does not result in a diploma is best listed on résumés and curriculum vitae.
The following examples refer to the Graduate Gemologist (GG), Accredited Jewelry Professional (AJP), Gemologist, Jewelry Design & Technology ( JDT), and Graduate Jeweler (GJ) diplomas:
- John Doe, GIA Graduate Gemologist, or John Doe, GIA GG
- Jane Doe, GIA Accredited Jewelry Professional, or Jane Doe, GIA AJP
- John Doe, GIA Gemologist
- Jane Doe, GIA Jewelry Design & Technology, or Jane Doe, GIA JDT
- John Doe, GIA Graduate Jeweler, or John Doe, GIA GJ
- Jane Doe, GIA GG, GJ
The following examples refer to the Graduate Diamonds, Graduate Colored Stones, and Graduate Pearls diplomas:
- Jane Doe, GIA Diamonds Graduate
- John Doe, GIA Colored Stones Graduate
- Jane Doe, GIA Pearls Graduate
The following examples refer to the Applied Jewelry Arts (AJA) diploma, the Jewelry Business Management ( JBM) diploma and the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree:
- John Doe, GIA Applied Jewelry Arts, or John Doe, GIA AJA
- Jane Doe, GIA Jewelry Business Management, or Jane Doe, GIA JBM
- John Doe, Bachelor of Business Administration, or John Doe, BBA
Companies may state that they have GIA Graduate Gemologists, Accredited Jewelry Professionals, Gemologists, Graduate Jewelers, or Jewelry Design & Technology graduates on staff, provided that such statements are accurate and companies agree to cooperate with any verification that may be requested by GIA or others.
Names, Trademarks, and Copyrights
GIA’s names and logos, like those of most organizations, are valid trademarks and as such may not be used in your advertising except as described herein. The same is true for GIA’s copyrighted materials that appear in print or online, including all GIA publications, course materials, articles appearing in third party publications, and certain printed forms used by GIA. These may be used only by obtaining prior written consent from GIA.
Some specific examples of GIA’s trademarks and copyrighted material that may NOT be used in your advertising without prior consent are:
- GIA (Gemological Institute of America) and its logo
- GIA Grading and Identification Reports, including but not limited to GIA Diamond Grading Report, GIA Diamond Dossier®,GIA Identification Report, and GIA Colored Diamond Identification and Origin Report. Use is acceptable if the report is for a product that the client/seller owns
- GIA Facetware®logo
- GIA educational materials and publications in any medium including but not limited to print, web, video, or audio
- Gems & Gemology® quarterly journal and its logo, in print or online
It is an unauthorized use of GIA’s name to imply that GIA and/or its subsidiaries directly or indirectly certify, sponsor, or approve any individual or private business including its employees, products, services, and pricing. It is incorrect to state that students, graduates, their businesses, or particular gemstones are “certified” by GIA. The Gemological Institute of America does not certify anyone or anything. Neither a student nor a graduate who has been awarded a certificate or diploma, nor a gem that has been graded or identified by GIA has been “certified” by GIA.
Examples of unacceptable usage include: GIA Certified; GIA Certified Diamond Appraiser; GIA Certified Diamonds; GIA Diamond; Certified GIA Appraisals; Certified Graduate Gemologist; Member, Gemological Institute of America; Member, GIA Laboratory.
Because GIA is an educational and research institution, it is not allowed to participate in, or endorse, private business. GIA must also avoid the appearance of doing so, or its standing with the regulating and accrediting authorities could be jeopardized.
GIA does not permit the use of any of its trademarks in third-party domain names. Any use of GIA in a website domain name in the fields of diamonds, jewelry, education and related fields would constitute infringement of the GIA marks.
For intellectual property usage requests that are not covered here, please email email@example.com
GIA HYPERLINK CONDITIONS
Last Updated 02/04/2013
You may provide a link to this website on another website, provided you agree to the Link conditions described below. By establishing a link to a GIA website you agree to these link conditions.
- that the link consists of a hypertext link or a link using the "To learn more about GIA" link button with image and text supplied by GIA;
- that you acknowledge that GIA may modify images and text at any time;
- that except for a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free license to use the link button on your website solely for the purpose of providing a hyperlink to GIA's website, you acknowledge and agree that (i) GIA's trademarks, name and linking button, including, but not limited to, the familiar "GIA" mark and "GIA trio logo" (collectively, the "Marks"), GIA's website and its contents are and shall remain the sole property of GIA, (ii) nothing in these conditions shall give you any right of ownership in the Marks, link button or GIA's website; (iii) you shall not now or in the future contest the validity of the Marks; and (iv) you shall not take any action that would impair the value or goodwill associated with the Marks, link button or GIA's image or reputation; (v) you shall not use the link button in any way that might be misleading;
- that you will not use the link or link button to disparage GIA and its services;
- that the appearance, position and other aspects of the link button may not be such as to misrepresent your relationship with GIA, or present false or misleading impressions about GIA or its services;
- that the appearance, position and other aspects of the link button may not create the false appearance that you or any non-GIA entity or any non- GIA product or service is associated with, or endorsed, or sponsored by GIA;
- that the link, when activated by a user, must display this website full-screen and not with a "frame" on the linked website or with other techniques which alter the visual presentation or content of GIA's website, such as the imposition of browser windows or third party content;
- that the link button may only be used on your website, and not for any other purpose including, but not limited to promotion, advertising or publicity for your website;
- that the link button must be displayed adjacent to a reference to GIA or at the bottom of that same page;
- that you may not alter or change the link button in any way, including color, size, proportions, etc. or animate or change its perspective;
- that you may not deviate or edit any of the technical code that accompanies the button;
- that the linking website may not contain materials that may be interpreted as distasteful or offensive and should be appropriate for all age groups;
- that GIA has the right to terminate this Agreement with or without cause at any time, and may amend this Agreement without notice at any time;
- that you agree to defend, indemnify and hold GIA, its trustees, officers, employees and agents from and against any claims, demands, damages, causes of action, loss or judgments arising from your breach of this Agreement or your hyperlink to GIA's website.
YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT THE USE OF GIA'S MATERIALS, MARKS, LINK BUTTON AND WEB SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. GIA DOES NOT WARRANT THAT ITS SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE, GIA PROVIDES THIS ACCESS "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. GIA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, IMPLIED WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND WARRANTY OF NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT WILL GIA BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF PROFIT, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR OTHER LOSS ARISING OUT OF OR RESULTING FROM THIS AGREEMENT OR THE USE OF ANY OF THE MATERIALS, MARKS OR LINK BUTTON UNDER THIS AGREEMENT OR ACCESS TO ANY OF THE SERVICES DESCRIBED IN THIS AGREEMENT EVEN IF GIA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING SHALL APPLY REGARDLESS OF THE NEGLIGENCE OF GIA AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH LIABILITY IS FOUND IN CONTRACTS, NEGLIGENCE, TORT OR ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY.
GIA reserves the right to revoke its consent to the link at any time in its sole discretion by amending these Hyperlink conditions.
You agree that any dispute arising out of or relating to these Terms or any content posted to the GIA website including copies and republication thereof, whether based in contract, tort, statutory or other law, will be governed by the laws of the State of California, excluding its conflicts of law provisions. You further consent to the personal jurisdiction of and exclusive venue in the federal and state courts located in and serving SAN DIEGO County, California as the legal forum for any such dispute.
By establishing a link to the GIA website, either with a link button or text, you agree to the GIA Link conditions.
< 아카데믹 자격인증서의 사용과 다른 사용법들 지침 >
아래 사용 지침은 Gemological Institute of America, Inc. 와 관련된 모든 것들(총체적으로 GIA라 한다)의
현재 학생들과 예전 학생들 모두에게 적용된다.
아카데믹 자격인증서의 사용 지침
GIA에서 얻은 아카데믹 자격인증서는 전세계의 보석과 주얼리 전문가들에게 존중 받는다. 보석, 주얼리 세공,
주얼리 산업에서 최고 수준의 교육의 심볼로 국제적으로 인정받는다.
GIA 수료증과 디플로마를 받은 사람이 자신의 이름 끝에 관련된 아카데믹 호칭을 덧붙여서 자신의 성취를 알리고 싶은 것은 적절하고 통상적인 것이다. 그렇게 해야 하지만, GIA Alumni는 사용법에 있어 특별한 표준을 지키기를 요구한다.
다음의 예에 기관에서 발급하는 모든 수료증과 디플로마가 있는 것은 아니지만, GIA의 아카데믹 자격인증서 사용법 지침이 어떻게 당신에게 적용되는지 도와줄 것이다.
당신의 GIA 디플로마, 수료증, LOC(Letter of Completion)을 완전히 복제하여 홍보물이나 명함의 일부로 사용할 수 있다. 주의할 점은 자격인증서를 광고에 사용할 때 받은 사람의 이름이 같이 사용 되어아 한다는 것이다. 그리고 광고에는 어떤 형태로든 GIA와 제휴한다던가, GIA가 보증한다는 내용을 기술하거나 암시해서는 안 된다.
다음의 예들은 Graduate Gemologist(GG), Accredited Jewelry Professional(AJP), Gemologist, Jewelry Design and Technology(JDT)그리고 Graduate Jewelrler(GJ) 디플로마에 해당한다.
John Doe, GIA Graduate Gemologist 또는 John Doe, GIA G.G.
Jane Doe, GIA Accredited Jewelry Professional(GIA) 또는 John Doe, GIA A.J.P.
John Doe, GIA Gemologist
Jane Doe, GIA Jewelry Design & Technology, 또는 Jane Doe, GIA JDT
John Doe, GIA Graduate Jeweler 또는 John Doe, GIA G.J.
John Doe, GIA GG, GJ
다음의 예들은 Graduate Diamonds, Graduate Colored Stones 와 Graduate Pearls 디플로마에 해당한다.
Jane Doe, GIA Diamonds Graduate
John Doe, GIA Colored Stones Graduate
Jane Doe, GIA Pearls Graduate
다음의 예들은 Applied Jewelry Arts(AJA) 디플로마, The Jewelry Business Management(JBM) 디플로마, Bachelor of Business Administration(BBA) 학위에 해당한다.
John Doe, Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
Jane Doe, Jewelry Business Management (GIA) 또는 JBM (GIA)
각 회사들은 그 회사에 GIA Graduate Gemologist, Accredited Jewelry Professionals, Gemologists, Graduate Jeweler 또는 Jewelry Design and Technology 졸업생들이 있다고 말할 수 있으며, 이러한 내용을 정확하게 제공해야 해야 하고 변형시켜 말하는 것은 GIA 또는 부속기구들에 문의하여 협조하는 것에 동의해야 한다.
이름, 등록상표, 저작권
GIA의 이름과 로고는, 다른 기구들처럼, 합법적인 등록상표이므로 여기에 표시되어있는 방법 외에는 광고에 사용되어져서 안 된다. 사전에 서면 동의를 얻어야지만 사용할 수 있는, GIA에 저작권이 있는 제품들(GIA Publications, 수업교재, GIA에 의한 어떠한 인쇄물, GIA Laboratory, GIA Instruments 포함)도 마찬가지이다. 사전에 동의 없이 사용하면 안 되는 GIA 의 등록상표와 저작물들의 몇 가지 예는 다음과 같다.
GIA(Gemological Institute of America)와 그 로고
GIA Laboratory의 감정과 감별 리포트로서 GIA 다이아몬드 그레이딩 리포트, GIA 다이아몬드 도씨에,
GIA 감별 리포트, GIA 유색 다이아몬드 감별 리포트와 Origin 리포트를 포함하되 이에 국한되지 않는다.
GIA Facetware 로고
GIA 교육교재와 모든 정보들로서 매체 출판물, 인쇄물, 웹, 비디오, 오디오를 포함하되 이에 국한되지 않는다.
Gems & Gemology 계간지와 로고
허가 받지 않은 사용
GIA와/또는 그 부속이 직간접적으로 개인 또는 사적인 비즈니스(직원, 제품, 서비스, 또는 가격을 포함) 를 보증한다, 후원한다, 또는 승인한다는 것을 암시하는 데에 GIA의 이름을 사용하는 것은 허가 받지 않은 방법이다. 방침은 명확하다: GIA는 어떤 사람, 비즈니스 또는 물건(thing)도 보증하지 않는다. 그러므로, GIA는 “보증한다”는 단어와 GIA 이름과 함께 파생된 어떠한 것과 제품을 광고에 사용하는 것을 허용하지 않는다.
용납되지 않는 사용법의 예는 다음을 포함한다: GIA 보증(Certfied), GIA 보증 다이아몬드 감정평가사, GIA 보증 다이아몬드, GIA 다이아몬드, 보증된 GIA 감정평가, 보증된(Certified) Graduate Gemologist, Gemological Institute of America 회원, GIA Laboratory 회원.
GIA는 교육과 연구 기관으로서 사적인 비즈니스에 참여하거나 지지하는 것이 허용되지 않기 때문이다. GIA는 물론 그렇게 하는 것처럼 보이는 것도 피해야한다. 그렇지 않다면, 규제와 인정 기관으로서의 입장을 위태롭게 할 수 있다.
GIA의 어떠한 등록상표도 제 3자가 도메인 이름으로 사용하는 것을 허용하지 않는다. 다이아몬드, 주얼리, 교육 분야 업계와 그와 관련된 분야에서 웹사이트 도메인 이름으로 GIA를 어떤 형태로든 사용하는 것은 GIA 마크를 침해하는 것이 될 것 이다.
Facetware 로고를 사용하는 것은 허용되지 않는다. 컷그레이딩 추정에 GIA Facetware 를 사용한 것을 언급하고 싶다면, 다음과 같이 사용하여야한다 : “컷 그레이드가 GIA Facetware 컷 추정(GIA Facetware Cut Estimator)을 이용하여 추정되었다.”
지적 재산 사용법은 여기에 포함되지 않았다. 문의: firstname.lastname@example.org